Thursday, March 17, 2011

DIY sunburst mirror

I have been wanting a sunburst mirror for a long time.  So, finally I got up the motivation to figure out how to make one of my own.  Here's how I did it. 




Materials:
hot glue gun and of course glue sticks
cardboard or plywood
dowel rods (I used four different sizes) 
ruler 
writing utensil
mirror (I used the mirror that you put candles on from Walmart)
upholstery trim (about 1/4 yard)
gorilla glue

Step one:
A) Begin by tracing the mirror onto the cardboard or plywood.  Repeat this step. This will give you something to glue to dowel rods to other that the mirror itself.  
B) Proceed by cutting out the circle
C) Create a pie grid onto one side of the circle.  Mark your center point and draw 4 straight lines that go all the way through the middle dot directly to the opposite side you that you started on.  These line should all be equal distance apart from one another.  The lines are to help you get a basic start on where to place longer or shorter rods.



Step two:
A) Cut the rods into different lengths with some type of saw.  I used my husbands table-saw.  
B) Begin experimenting with the rods placing them directly beside one another.  Decide it you want them in an order or random.  I placed my 4 longest pieces on each of the lines extending from the center dot. Hot glue each stick on and then go back over all of it to secure them more thoroughly. 



Step 3:
A) Place the other circle on top of the rods 
B) Spray paint the color of your choice!!! Yeah! almost done.

Step 4
A) Use gorilla glue and glue on mirror once the rods are dry.  
B) Hot glue the trim around the mirror and you are finished.  I notched a sliver out of the back to hand it from a nail and it has worked fine for me.


Final product




No comments:

Post a Comment